The samples are weighted according to voter registrations and historic
turn out. Most of the polls have their methodologies posted so you can
examine them.

Which gets back to my earlier point wondering who is actually going to
show up and vote. Obama has the potential to turn out record numbers
of minority and youth voters. Polls which sample based on historic
turnouts would then undercount Obama's results.

It is also possible, of course, that pollsters may be under sampling
demographics that swing to McCain. If he pulled historic turnout
amongst older voters or something, that would swing things his way.
Thus far I haven't seen many arguments that McCain is pulling a
stronger than normal turn out from any particular demographics.

Voter enthusiasm will determine the people that show up and vote.  All
the polls I've seen show a stronger enthusiasm for Obama amongst his
supporters than for McCain amongst his supporters. Palin was a pick
meant to help decrease that enthusiasm gap. It certainly did do that
at the beginning. The effect seems to have worn off its peak, though
is still present. The gap still exists from what I've seen.

Bottom line though is turning enthusiasm into votes.

Judah