Somebody wrote:
> This brings up another point. would people be adverse to this contract
> being extended to folks who simply want to pool resources and have
> someone to take responsibility if the worst happens.

Personally, no I think that would be fine.  But it is probably a much
harder sell to the average 'Joe Six Pack'.

Historically, before the twentieth century, this was not uncommon.  For
two, or more, people to pool resources.  Of course it did not have the
legal stamp of civil recognition, but this was back in the day when that
was much less critical.  You didn't have hospitals saying you can't
visit because you are not related or much of this hooey that has been
attached to being married to somebody.