C. Hatton Humphrey wrote:
> I recall a suit where a woman was given a referral but sued the
> referring doctor for not performing the procedure.  I couldn't find a
> reference for that one though.

First of all, I completely separate the 'filing' of a lawsuit and the
winning of a lawsuit.  Filing is almost completely meaningless.  Anybody
can file on just about anything they want.  If you want to argue tort
reform and how this tactic can be used to harass, then there is
definitely something to argue about.  Especially since it is a very
difficult problem where simplistic solutions are just as likely to lead
to abuses the other way as doing nothing to fix the problem.

Secondly, I can see possible value to such a lawsuit as it relates to
the current state of health care in the United States.  If a person
could freely choose their doctor and change this choice at any time,
then there would be no merit to such a suit.  But with the way health
care and insurance works largely forcing us to choose doctors from
limited, approved lists and often making it difficult and time consuming
to change these choices or loose the ability to afford health care.  I
can see where a doctor could affectively hold their moral values over a
patient and I hope we agree this would be wrong, either way it might go.

> Who's to say that this same attitude won't be pressed by same sex couples?

I would say, until such a time as laws and|or policy somehow forces
people to be a member if a given church or face drastic consequences
then the same attitude would have no merit.  And I will even agree that
I would fight for the churches rights in this matter if anybody choose
to try and do this.

I find the 'fear' of this legally remote possibility to be a weak
argument against denying rights to a part of our population.