From: C. Hatton Humphrey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 11:38 AM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: has anyone checked on Sam?

> The churches would NOT suddenly be forced to marry anybody they did not
> want to marry.

This is where I am the most worried, and this is why, as related to
abortion:
http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/oct/19/whats-wrong-with-respectin
g-everyones-right-to/

In the end, those who do not believe in abortion are asked/forced to
accept the position that abortion is about a woman's body, a woman's
right and a woman's choice, and that religion, society, parents and
fathers have no role in the decision.

Beyond threatening the rights of parents, the most strident
pro-choicers now want to force doctors to perform abortions or refer
patients to someone who will, regardless if their consciences say
otherwise. As Hastings Center bioethicist Nancy Berliner puts it,
"Your religious rights don't mean you can use them to undermine
someone's civil rights." In layman's terms: "I want an abortion and
you have to perform it or find someone who will."

I recall a suit where a woman was given a referral but sued the
referring doctor for not performing the procedure.  I couldn't find a
reference for that one though.

Who's to say that this same attitude won't be pressed by same sex couples?

Hatton