It was a mild observation and you're doing an analytical study.
I'm to busy to play along.

But if you really interested, and have the time...

> OK, local government. Do you mean state government here? (or can I assume
> this as a set to work from)

Yes, governors, mayors, state congress, senate

> And by "lean liberal", what do you mean? elected officials are democrats?
> which officials? state house, legislature, governor?

Yes.
But  as I said Arnold was a conservative republican and the state was
recovering. Then he started leaning away from conservatism and the
state started getting in trouble again. I'm vague because I haven't
followed his policies closely. But the more I hear about Arnold's
shift the more I read about CA's problems.

> Leadership of the state seems to imply governors?
Yes, Mayors as we drill down. Could even apply to senators and
congress. But I haven't thought that through.

> And by "budget problems", do you mean budget shortfalls? (less money
> coming in than going out), or do you mean higher budgets, or what?

I mean we need to raise taxes and cut programs to make up for the new
programs added.

> To translate into something I can look at, are you saying that:
> States with Democratic governors have more budget shortfalls than
> Republican governors?

No, it's not just balancing the budget.