> One argument I've gotten in the past at this point is "well, it's just a
> term; why do you care?"  And my response is always "Why do *you* care what I
> call it?"

<cf_White_Russian_Warning count="Too Many">
David, ya know I really respect you and think you're great and all...
but here's where I stand on this.

I have NO PROBLEM with you and your partner having the same rights AND
RESPONSIBILITIES as me and my wife have, including the requirement for
a divorce in front of a civil judge (even in most divorces aren't
"civil" in the least).

But for me, the term marriage is a sacrament, something sacred.  You
can't apply logic to any level of reasoning I give... and not just
because of the warning (which is still vaid as I write this).
Marriage by religious definition is between a man and a woman.  There
is example after example after example where sexual relations between
members of the same sex are viewed as, and I'm using a nice phrase
here, "not right."  I don't care what level of psychology, physiology
or "feel good" science you want to put on it, that's Biblical fact.

I've actually just erased a pretty long (and alcohol induced) rant on
a lot of things... I'll make my point then....

Simply put, I think that as far as the "law" goes, I think that you
and your partner *should* have the same *legal* rights as me and my
wife do.  I don't undersand why your partner couldn't make decisions
for you if you were incapacitated (Yay Firefox spell-check) or take
care of your kids if you were to die.  I think that you should qualify
as a "family" when it comes to medical or dental insurance.  I also
think that you should be able to file taxes with the same penalties
that my wife and I currently encounter.

And if something happens that makes you and your partner split up, I
think that you should have to go through the same hell that hetero
couples that own property, credit and even have kids together, should
have to go through.

But I don't think that you should call it marriage.  That to me is a
sacred word.  Again, I can't explain it.  Maybe because I come from a
broken home and am working hard to make sure that the example and
definition is set for my children.

If that's bigotry, so be it.  I stopped caring when I realized that
there was no form of political compromise on this situation,
regardless of how much I was willing to bend.

I'm done now.  Good night folks!
</cf_White_Russian_Warning>

Hatton