Secular marriage, legally, is about consolidation of resources sharing of
responsibility and, essentially, reduction of paperwork.  The cohabitating
couple pays property taxes, sales taxes, state and city taxes: there are
very few "breaks" for marriage.  What you do you get is much easier times at
the hospital, at the bank and at the funeral home.

> So since there is zero chance of a gay marriage producing more
> Americans, why extend tax breaks and advantages to such a union?

Actually every gay couple that I know has children.  My wife is the daughter
of a "late-blooming" lesbian, the woman who helped raised her got pregnant
via insemination and our closest gay friends have three adopted children.

There are definitely tax breaks for parents - and these parents are no
different in that than anybody else.  Even without marriage in most cases
both parents legally adopt the children and claim every tax break that you
claim comes only with marriage.

Your argument just doesn't have much weight.

Jim Davis