No one knows what Obama's inauguration is going to cost until the books are
settled. The article, such as it is, is not an exploration of facts but a
rant about how awful those darn conservatives are. I agree that if we are
going to make comparisons, we need to compare the same things. I'll wait for
some enterprising reporter to dig up the actual costs for this event next
year, then we can see what the numbers look like.

Furthermore, the shtick from MediaMatters ignores the obvious - that
comparisons are being made between the 2005 costs and the current costs
because Democrats complained so much about the 2005 costs - the nation is at
war, it's unseemly, etc. The nation is still at war, and we are in the
middle of a recession to boot, so it is only natural that people will draw
comparisons between the costs of the two events.

And lastly, I'm not one for ceremony, but lots of people live for this kind
of stuff, so if we spend a little cash on the inauguration festivities, so
be it.