I disagree.
Your lives have already changed for the better having elected Obama just by
way of that act.
You have started the little rock down the snow bank, and it will begin to
pick up speed and hopefully turn into an avalanche that will crash through
a lot of the racism and bigotry which you say is woven into the US culture.

When Martin Luther King started his work, things did not change in a single
day either.