On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Vivec <gel21...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I disagree.
> Your lives have already changed for the better having elected Obama just by
> way of that act.

Well, we sure THINK it has, because we THINK we elected the right
person...so far so good, in my opinion, but only time will tell.

 You have started the little rock down the snow bank, and it will begin to
> pick up speed and hopefully turn into an avalanche that will crash through
> a lot of the racism and bigotry which you say is woven into the US culture.

That is overly optimistic. Obama's election is more the reflection of a
fairer society, than it is the catalyst for one. It's a big step, indeed,
but it was an inevitability. If people outside of the US fail to realize
that, it is more telling of their own mis perceptions than it is about the
reality of the US today.

When Martin Luther King started his work, things did not change in a single
> day either.

Now King, HE was a true catalyst. He took a backwards culture and helped
push it in the right direction. Obama, as he points out time and again, is a
beneficiary of the actions of people like Dr. King.

The rock was started down the snow bank many decades ago......Obama's
election is a an important milestone for it's journey.

--
And the Anzio bridgehead was held for the price
Of a few hundred ordinary lives