Early this year we've moved out of my garage into real office space and my
goal is to add a sales person, full time creative person/director, and a 3rd
developer, in that order over the next 6 to 12 months. (I have call on
Monday with a client that could flip the order to developer, sales person,
creative director though).

I've been blessed with some really good luck finding clients, but its hard
work that keeps them clients.

The company I mentioned in Boston now keeps a developer going full time but
there has been a few late night spent getting their projects done on time.
They genuinely appreciate the effort we put in and know they can rely on us
to deliver.

My other main client builds a ASP.Net content management system and because
of some strong ties with the company (I was employee #1 and my wife was #2),
they send us a lot of professional service work. I've managed convert a
couple of those projects into long term clients of my own (with their OK of
course) and it has lead to some work on some high profile sites:
www.lgmobilephones.com and www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com. We've done 17
sites through them directly or indirectly. They know when they are in a bind
or need a senior resource they can call on us.

The other tips I can offer are:
- Set your company up early as a corp, pay yourself as an employee, and
separate your personal finances from your company finances. It's a nightmare
to separate them down the road (my wife is doing this for a client of hers
and its going to cost him a small fortune)
- Once you get going find out what you're not that good at, and when you can
afford to, find someone you trust who is.
- When you get to the point of hiring employees, treat them like co-workers
instead of employees. Our creed here is everyone has an oar in the water and
a say in how and where we steer the boat. It may not be equal but everyone
knows they can have a say.

The rest, honestly, I'm still trying to figure out, just hoping to make as
few mistakes as possible along the way.

Duane