First decide if you want to be a consultant on your own or run a company. If
you go the corp route, follow Duane's advice and set it up properly. Then
figure out what you want to do. When you have a company and you talk to
people about your business, they will inevitably ask you a handful of
questions:

What do you do? Services or products? What is your target market? Industry?
Company size? Perfect client? Listen to the author of e-Myth and figure out
all these question (to the extent you can) before you start. Otherwise you
have no focus, and without focus, you might struggle to target your market
and find clients.

Having said that, IT services are still enough in demand that you might just
get business through dumb luck. As many of us can attest to, sometimes
that's just the way it happens. Just don't count on luck to provide your
entire client base!