From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 9:08 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Religious Jews (was: Circumcision article link)

Well, it depends upon what translation you're using. For instance, I
remember learning in school that there have been some serious
mistranslations with the King James version, which is the one you hear
about a lot. (Howard, how central is that translation considered?)

One major mistranslation which led to the myth that Jews have horns: The
translation of the word "Karnei Or," (which means beams of light) as horns
of light. (This in a description of how Moses looked as he was receiving
the Torah on Mount Sinai--there were beams of light shining from his face.)
I don't remember if that mistake was in King James or not.

Most Orthodox Jews use Jewish translations such as the Artscroll or the
Judaica Press, or we study it in the original Hebrew. Artscroll is a
mainstay for most Ba'alei Teshuvah (returnees to Judaism, in other words
people who have become observant later in life).

Judith