From: Tim Painter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 9:40 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Religious Jews (was: Circumcision article link)

The New American Standard (NASB) is a more literal translations (word for
word) whereas the NIV leans towards dyanmic equivalence (more of a
"meaningful" translation than exactly word for word.)

>From what I understand, the KJV translations was translated using some of
the older texts available at that time.  The NIV and NASB makes use of even
earlier transcripts along with the older ones.    All 3 have very minor
differences that do not equate to any major doctrinal differences -- it
amounts to maybe 2% of the entire text.    I personally prefer the NIV as
well.  I have been reading a lot of the New Living Translation which is also
an excellent translation.  (That one leans even more heavily in the dynamic
equivalent area of translation).

The Mormon Church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) and the
Jehovah's Witnesses both have their own "translations" which are totally
inaccurate and were not translated from the original texts.  (Although both
churches claim they were)  They were plagiarized versions of the KJV.  I
can't recall the official name of the mormon translation ( the Joseph Smith
translation)  -- the JW version is called the New World Translation.

Speaking of the NIV,  an updated version of the NIV is coming out -- the New
Testament is available at www.tniv.org

Tim P.