On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Michael Grant <mgr...@modus.bz> wrote:

> I could care less about being nice or being PC. My point from the start has
> been that "Muslim" as part of the profile of a terrorist is a useless
> criteria that is much more damaging than it is useful.

And I would disagree with that.  Any criteria that can be added to a profile
will only server to make it more specific.  Hence, there is less likelihood
of 'getting the wrong guy'

Most of the incidents
> cited by some in this thread as 'proof' that terrorism is predominantly
> Muslim is a bit of red herring. Of course terrorists in the middle east are
> going to be Muslim since the majority of people in the middle east are
> Muslim. Using Muslim as a descriptor is just inflammatory fear mongering
> and
> is of no use to the task at hand. The ratio of Muslims to terrorists is so
> low that it serves absolutely no purpose to use it as a criteria.

See above.  Any exclusionary or inclusionary criteria you can add to
a profile will only server to narrow the scope.  Saying we are looking for a
man is not nearly as desrcript as saying we are looking for a white agnostic
man in his early 40's, overweight, with brown hair, slightly greying, blue
eyes and loves Ethyl Murmon music. The latter give us a much finer scope at
whom to look at.

Once again I am not advocating using Muslim as the sole criteria, but I do
not think it should be excluded from a profile solely because it might upset
people. I mean, should we not include eye color or skin color because it may
offend some?