> JJ wrote:
> I will once again profess I think unions are the most evil construct
> currently in existence in the US.

What my union friends tell me is that while all of the criticisms
heard here are true, they feel unions are 100% responsible for the
quality of life the average American enjoys since unions set the low
bar for wages and benefits.

E.g., you might sell fewer cars, but those you do sell have wage
floors built into the price and those workers that get those wages
spend on other things etc etc.

My counter-point to that is that that was probably true;
pre-globalization.  In other words, when companies have to hire
workers from town X then, yeah, unions are going to lift all boats.
But since that's not the case anymore they won't/can't.

Anyway, what's broken in the American economy (amongst other things)
is causing a very obvious symptom: management-worker wage disparity.

At some point - hopefully now - all western-style companies are going
to have to address this issue.

Executive compensation should be unlimited, but it should be tied to
all company compensation.  So, for example, if the company profits
grow, all pay grows equally.

That would align everyone's incentives.  The way it is now, incentives
are misaligned and arbitrary.