Late to this party, but ditto on the previous responses.  I have outlook
connected to gmail via IMAP.  The only reason I even have Outlook on the
system anymore is for contacts (I just don't care for Google's Contact
Manager).
My wife and I use Google calendar.  My outlook syncs with my calendar (don't
really even know why... but I set it up to do so), but I sync both my
calendar and my wife's directly to the iphone.  Works great.  Items show up
in different colors (depending on if it's my event or her event), add an
item to the iphone and it syncs right to google calendar, and vice-versa.
 The ability to sync the Google Calendars with the iPhone is relatively new.
 Blogged about it a lil' while back (
http://charlie.griefer.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/2/19/Google-Calendar-Syncs-with-iPhone
).