Similar for me but with a different phone - Outlook 2007, gMail and a
Windows Mobile Phone (HTC Touch Pro).

What (I think) you want to do is pretty simple, but the options are bit
hidden.

First remember that gMail always keeps your mail in the "All Mail" folder -
that's your main archive.  Anything you "delete" actually ends up there.

By default Outlook only downloads headers of messages, not bodies (so it
wouldn't keep them locally).  The first thing is to change the way Outlook
downloads your messages.

In Outlook press CTRL+ALT+S to bring up the "Send and Receive Groups" dialog
(you can also get to this from the Tools > Send/Receive > Send/Receive
Settings menu).  You can get pretty complicated here (multiple groups and
schedules and settings, etc) but I find it simplest to just keep one "All
Accounts" group (this is the default).

Here you can determine how quickly you want Outlook to check for changes -
purely personal preference.  You can also schedule automatic checks when
offline if you like.

Once that's set press the "Edit" button.  This is where you set the
specifics for each account in the group.

You want (of course) to leave "Receive Mail Items" checked, but the default
beneath it is "Download Headers..." - you want to change this.  The basic
option is just "Download complete items..." - this is easiest.  However you
can get more complex by picking the third option and selecting specific
actions for each IMAP folder.

Now all your mail will be downloaded automatically to Outlook (to a PST
file).  By default each IMAP connection will get its own PST file.  To find
your file right click the main folder for your IMAP store in Outlook, choose
"Properties".  Then, in the "General" tab, press the "Advanced" button to
see the file name being used.  You can back that up, import it elsewhere or
whatever you like.  You can also set archiving options on specific folders
if you like.

Remember tho' that Outlook will still "sync" to the gMail (delete a file on
the phone and it gets deleted in Outlook).  However since all mail is stored
in the "All Mail" folder it's never really "gone".

I've this combination (gMail IMAP, Outlook and my enabled phone) to behave
exactly as I want things to.  Wherever I read something, organize something,
etc it automatically "syncs" to everything.  Exactly what I want.

Hope that helps.

Jim Davis