> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael Grant [mailto:mgr...@modus.bz]
> Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:47 PM
> To: cf-community
> Subject: Re: bad news from Bruce
>

> You read that to you children? (WTF?)

Not verbatim - but more or less.

I'm curious why would you consider this a bad thing?  Is it the idea that
they should be made aware?  Something in the post specifically?

My daughter showed (as you can expect) little interest, but I know that she
at least listened.  My son and I talked briefly about it, about the fact
that we are at war and that people are getting hurt.  He took it as
seriously as he could, since he could see that I was serious, but I realize
that it's (thankfully) pretty much unfathomable to him.

A few other things came up (mostly about the religious aspects of the post -
it's been on his mind lately since it's Easter and we live in a highly
religious area but are not religious ourselves) and we generally had a
short, but good talk.

> Then please also teach them the futility of an unjust war. And teach
> them
> the consequences of lying. Try to show them the human cost when men in
> suits
> throw away the lives of sons and daughters (not their own) for the
> profits
> of the few.

At this point I'm pretty apolitical with the kids (10 and 7 years old).
They're definitely not going to understand the politics of war or the
history of warfare or the intricacies of these wars.

However I feel very strongly that they do need to understand that there are
people out there getting hurt and dying for their country. People who have
sworn to protect them and do so unquestioningly.  These soldiers are,
perhaps not always individually but as a body striving towards ideals,
worthy of every respect we can offer.

This doesn't mean in any way that I'm asking them (or telling them) to
respect the conflict itself, the motives for it or the people that run it.
If I have anything to say about it they will respect the people putting
their lives on the line whatever they're opinions about the war end up
being.

Jim Davis