> 4.) It seems odd that a dump truck with 10,000 lbs of explosives is
> able to get that near a convoy, but maybe I don't understand the
> circumstances.

It is very simple. As we were heading onto our main supply route to
begin our mission, we were about 50 meters from the final Iraqi Police
checkpoint on a narrow road. As we came around a turn, the dump truck
was already through the IP checkpoint, the IP were shooting at it, and
it was about 20 meters away from my truck, which was the lead truck. In
about the two seconds that it took the truck to pass me, I thought 'what
are the IP shooting at, why is this truck not stopping, gunner kill the
motherfucker before he gets into our patrol'. The truck was already
moving at a pretty fast pace and as he passed my truck, the ones behind
me started shooting. It was not until it approached the fifth and final
truck that the driver was finally killed and the truck stopped
accelerating and started coasting. The dump truck hit a wall and the
truck exploded, killing our men. Oh, and the explosives were hidden
under bags of grain, so we never knew exactly what was in that truck.
All I know is that the gunner of the last truck never stopped shooting
until the truck exploded. When we recovered the .50 cal machine gun,
there was a live round half way into the chamber.
All of this happened in less than 10 seconds. It is easy to armchair
quarterback this all fucking day, but unless you have been in our shoes,
having the same thing happen to you, you will never, ever fucking
understand.