I still really don't know what point he was trying to make, honestly.

Cam might be right, but I'm not sure - IF he was upset for me for elevating
the soldiers because he has problems with the war then, yeah - he's being a
dick.  IF he's saying that kids are just too young to get exposed to that,
then he's just plain disagreeing with me (that's fine).

There's just not enough in his post to really understand what the point is
(although it seems like several people have made assumptions about it so
far).

> 2.) We're not at war.  We're in Iraq providing supplemental security
> for a foreign government at their request, but at the cost of the
> American taxpayer.

You are technically correct (the very best kind of correct!) but I will
continue to tell my kids that we are "at war".  When the bulk of our armed
forces are engaged in active combat zones I would hope that the rest of
country will also consider us "at war" regardless of the official label of
the action.

> 4.) It seems odd that a dump truck with 10,000 lbs of explosives is
> able to get that near a convoy, but maybe I don't understand the
> circumstances.

I can see it, definitely - with all of the reconstruction and work being
done I'm sure that dump trucks are common.  I also assume that the
insurgents have broader support than just active militants (in other words
people that would not take up arms but would also provide access to trucks,
equipment, passage,feed information about troop movements, etc).  Lastly I
have to assume that the convoy was not in any kind of "safe zone" but rather
moving to or from a "hot zone".

"Security" is often a matter of inches.

> 5.) My thoughts go out to Bruce and the families of the troop

As do mine and my family's.

For the little that it's worth none of the posts I've seen so far have
indicated anything less to me regardless of their broader opinions of the
war.

Jim Davis