I just saw a cartoon on Day by Day (
http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2009/05/30) which satirized a quote by
Obama's Supreme Court nominee, Sonia Sotomayor. The quote, as reported all
over the place was:
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences
would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who
hasn't lived that life." The satire was to reverse the racial descriptors to
see how people would like it if it had the white man in the superior
position and the Latina woman in the inferior.

Side question: If Latina in the quote is a descriptor of a racial
characteristic, shouldn't white be capitalized as well as it's also a racial
descriptor? Should both be lower cased? But I digress.

Now on one hand I totally agree with the quote - experience is a key factor.
On the other hand, there is an imbalance that makes me look at the quote
askance (not a sconce, which is a type of candlestick). You have a wise
person vs. a plain (non-wise) person. You have a person with a "richness of
experience" vs. someone who seems to have none or is less for having a
different experience. You also have the people's race and gender being
almost the central theme of the quote. Why are they even important? Looking
at the quote in context shows that race (national origin) and gender were
the central issues:

"Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural
differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague
Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a
difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying
that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in
deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O'Connor is the author of that line
since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle.
I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor
Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise.
Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her
experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white
male who hasn't lived that life."
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2009/05/26_sotomayor.shtml

Personally I think that this is a little hubris and misspeaking on the part
of judge Sotomayor. She's using herself as the "wise Latina woman" with a
rich experience and comparing it to 'just someone else' who happens to not
be like her. I think she's using "hasn't lived that life" to mean 'has less
of a rich experience'. That's what I would hope as someone of her learning
and position would not be denegrating others based on race, gender, or
difference of (rich) experience.

I still think that the satire is poignant as it shines a light on how easily
people will accept a quote when one race/gender/whatever is in the pro
column but will reject it when a different one is on top. You'll never see a
white or straight pride parade and any thought of one would be protested
from every side.

"I would hope that a person with the richness of their experience would more
often than not come to a better conclusion than another person with less
experience"


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Want to reach the ColdFusion community with something they want? Let them know 
on the House of Fusion mailing lists
Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/message.cfm/messageid:297906
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.5

Reply via email to