On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Gruss Gott <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyway, the whole culture has become surreal.


So you hate the culture?


>  It's a bunch of millionaires running around.


Running around...doing amazing things. What Federer is doing, is amazing.
What Albert Pujols is doing this year, is amazing. What Tiger Woods does
week in and week out, is amazing. What Peyton Manning, Lebron James, Alex
Ovechkin are doing...is amazing.

Should it matter that these people are also millionaires?


>  Nobody loses except the fans.


Let's see....i receive thousands of free hours of entertainment watching
amazing athletes demonstrate their skills...and I'm losing?

I wish losing was always this sweet!


>  There's
> no passion.


?????


>  And if there is it's purely ego driven.


Ego drives a LOT of things in this world....passion is just one of them.
This isn't unique to sports.


>  It's like being
> interested in which Wall Street traders will make more money this
> year.


If that was an interesting skill to watch, yeah. But it aint, so no.


> The one-on-one sports seem to be mostly immune, like tennis or golf,
> but the team sports are just ridiculous to me now.


That's a telling statement. Means you have trouble separating the whole from
the parts that consist it.

You watch Federer passionately bang forehand pass after forehand pass, with
a fist pump, and you say 'there's passion, there's skill!'. It's pretty
obvious to spot.

Yet on a third and 3 from the 10 yard line, an offensive tackle comes off
his initial block, gets outside to throw the key block that turns a 2 yard
gain into a 4 yard gain.....gets up quietly and goes back to the
huddle...and to Gruss, it's just another boring team play in a boring team
game.

President Andrew Shepherd said "America isn't easy, you've got to want it".
Well...sometimes sports are the same way. You can choose to be a passive
observer and fail to appreciate everything that is going in a given
sport....but if you do, don't play the "sports suck" card....when it's the
viewer that sucks :)

When I was 20 I'd plan for almost a week the next week's football
> party.  Now I couldn't tell when a game is on ... wait I can.  All of
> the time because there are no seasons anymore.


You probably did that because it was "the thing to do". I've met many of
those types in my years. They can throw out the buzzwards, and even memorize
a few of the names....but they rarely have any real insight into what the
sport entails, or what is really going on in the games.


> Anyway, rant over


Mine too. I love sports rants :)

-- 
Somewhere between the time you arrive and the time you go
May lie a reason you were alive that you'll never know


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Want to reach the ColdFusion community with something they want? Let them know 
on the House of Fusion mailing lists
Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/message.cfm/messageid:300061
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=11502.10531.5

Reply via email to