> Translation: you don't know, didn't check, and have no expertise to
> judge even if you had which you didn't.

Wrong, we do know that it's made the same as the seasonal flu shot, and there
is thus no scientific basis for the conclusion that it would have any
likelihood to have a higher incidence of reactions. As far as my expertise, you
have no clue what level of experience I am speaking from but I almost certainly
have more than you as this was my field of study and one that I continued to
work in past grad school. The problem is you don't seem to understand that
medicine is NOT a precise science. Can you ever guarantee something is 100%
safe? The US has pretty stringent requirements for bringing anything new to
market, but we certainly still have plenty of issues with unexpected drug
reactions because it is simply not possible to ever test something widely
enough to always catch the rare side effects.

> Sounds like you're pretty faith-based there.  Work for Novartis then?

Drawing scientific conclusions based on available facts is hardly faith-based.

> "We expect the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine to have a similar safety
> profile as seasonal flu vaccines, which have a very good safety track
> record."

Again, medicine is NOT an exact science. They cannot make any other claim here
regardless of the level of testing, until the vaccine is in wide use. Can they
expect it to be as safe? Certainly. Can they absolutely *know* that? No more
than they would know it with each year's flu shot until it's been used on
millions of people. Remember, side effects are *extremely* rare. Even in '76 if
you attribute all the cases to the vaccine, which is certainly debatable, you
still only have about 1 in 100,00 cases at most. You could easily spend many
months testing and not have a single person have a severe reaction. It is
pretty much impossible to predict how quickly or slowly such a virus will
spread in the meantime. When the whole point of a vaccine is to prevent the
spread of a pandemic infection, it hardly does any good to spend so much time
testing that by the time you move to the full-scale manufacturing, the damage
has already been done. Epidemiology is simply NOT an exact science and if that
is what you are looking for, certainty, you will never find it when it comes to
these types of situations. However, they have certainly learned from the '76
flu scare and have not moved to a vaccination program until it *was* clear that
this was going to be a widely spread incidence (unlike for instance, the avian
flu).

> People died.  People were
> crippled.  Government said is safe, then it wasn't.

People are also already dying and being crippled by the H1N1 flu. So your point
is very poorly made.

> Again, the question you're avoiding is does the risk of this strain
> of
> swine flu require a new vaccination program?

We already know from the number of people infected so far with H1N1 that the
incidence of death and serious complications is considerably higher than the
risk of the same from vaccination. That's precisely what epidemiology is
intended to determine, the risk-reward ratio of such a program. Do you
seriously think that after the '76 incidence that the government would jump the
gun and risk the same kind of embarrassment? Considering people still trot that
out all the time as some kind of "proof" that they don't know what they are
doing, it would surely seriously effect future similar endeavors, ones that
might pose even more of a treat than this one. So no, I don't think they move
to a full-scale vaccination program without a LOT of forethought and
consideration of the available information. We are still trying to figure
everything out about H1N1, for instance why the rate of death is higher in
Mexico. But if we waited until we knew *everything* to any level of scientific
surety as you seem to want, thousands of people will have already died and
there would be nothing left to do but let it run its course.