> Sam wrote:
>
> So you're saying AIG gambled with it's assets that covered insurance
> policies. But insurance wasn't the problem.

Nope.  You've forced me to try an analogy.

Let's say you run a business and your wife runs her own separate
business:  You sell widgets and she sells insurance, but you co-own
both.

You've paid for your inputs, are selling your outputs, and your widget
biz is making a decent profit.

Your wife has sold $40 million in house insurance, she's collecting
premiums, and you two are living like royalty.

But there's a catch: your wife didn't call it "insurance" she called
"a swap" which means she doesn't have to follow insurance regulation
which means no reserve.

Then a hurricane hits and wipes out every house your wife sold a swap
on.  Her biz now owes those swap counter-parties $40m.

Since she has no reserve she can't pay so now both your business and
her business are bankrupt.  Plus the home policy owners are out of
luck because you're broke.

That was AIG.