So you're saying AIG gambled with it's assets that covered insurance
policies. But insurance wasn't the problem. The credit swap division
had the problem and they were negotiating solutions.

Anyway, I found this:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/1005/opinions-glass-steagall-on-my-mind.html

It was after the repeal that banks got deeply into underwriting
mortgage-backed securities, and it was mortgage securities that
triggered the crisis. But this doesn't mean that the expansion of
underwriting was an important cause of losses at these banks. If this
argument were true, we would expect to see the portfolios of big banks
crammed with low-rated mortgage paper that they could not sell in
their underwritings. In fact, big banks held primarily the mortgage
securities with the highest ratings, which they would have been
permitted to hold under Glass-Steagall.

It could also be argued that large banks would be tempted to make bad
loans to companies in order to get their underwriting business. While
such practices have periodically occurred, they have for years been
prohibited by several federal statutes. Moreover, when the sec looked
at the banks that became insolvent during 2008, it found that the main
cause of insolvency was losses on traditional bank loans unrelated to
their securities underwritings.