"Common sense tells me that climate change that occurred when no humans
inhabited the earth, could not possibly be caused by humans. But climate
change that occurs while humans do inhabit the earth, could be because by
our activities...and that the two are not necessarily linked, and certainly
one does not necessarily preclude the other.  That common enough sense for
ya?"

The part about this statement "But climate change that occurs while humans
do inhabit the earth, could be because by our activities" that I like is the
word "could".  It is so subjective.  Climate change could be caused by
aliens hiding on the dark side of the moon.  It could be caused by all the
hot air spewed by Al Gore about global warming.  Without data, could means
nothing and it looks like the data is pretty suspect at the moment.