If you're going to do mashed potatoes try this recipe:
Simple Mashed Potatoes

The Washington Post, November 22, 2009

    * • Course: Side Dish
    * • Features: Holiday, Make-Ahead Recipes (Thanksgiving)

A few cloves of garlic added while the potatoes are cooking lend a
hint of sweetness; bay leaf and rosemary or thyme lend a satisfying
herb-y flavor.

The final result depends on the quality of the potatoes used. Try
several different potatoes together: some yellow, some reddish, some
bluish. By not mashing them too much, you'll be able to see and taste
the range in each mouthful.

6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:

    * • 2 pounds (unpeeled) potatoes
    * • 3 to 6 young, plump cloves garlic
    * • Salt
    * • 1 bay leaf
    * • 1 sprig rosemary or thyme
    * • 2/3 cup whole milk (may substitute half-and-half or cream)
    * • 2 2/3 tablespoons unsalted butter or sour cream (optional)
    * • 10 stems chives, snipped (optional)

Directions:

Rinse and brush the potatoes thoroughly; cut each one into 2 or 4 pieces.

Peel the garlic, discarding any green shoots.

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high
heat. Add 2 tablespoons salt. Add the potatoes, garlic, bay leaf and
rosemary or thyme sprig. Once the water returns to a boil, cook for 15
to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are just cooked through. (Check
doneness with a fork.)

Drain the potatoes in a colander, allowing them to sit for a few
minutes before carefully discarding any skins. (They should still be
quite hot.) Discard the herbs, then return the potatoes and the garlic
to the saucepan.

Bring the milk to a boil in a separate large saucepan over medium-high heat.

Meanwhile, use a wooden spatula or fork to crush the potatoes and
garlic. Gradually add the milk, stirring until well incorporated. Make
sure the potatoes still have some structure; they should be a little
lumpy. Taste, and season lightly with salt.

Just before serving, add the butter or sour cream, if desired,
stirring until well incorporated. Sprinkle with chives, if using.

Recipe Source:

>From Gastronomer columnist Andreas Viestad.

114 calories, 2g fat, 1g saturated fat, 7mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium,
21g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 2g sugar, 3g protein.