Eric,

The region has only been independent since the 20's. Remember, the
region has been occupied first by the Romans, then there were the
Byzantines, Persians, Arabs,Turks and Europeans (Britain and France).
Palestine as an entity only emerged in the 1920's with the League of
Nations Mandate to Britain.

The people have lived there, but no nations really.

larry