xfire is ati, sli is nvidia, two names for the same thing.  Running two
cards with identical chipsets for (almost) twice the power.  So you but a
radeon 5770 for now, and when it is not enough to play your games, instead
of a totally new card, you buy another 5770.  A cable connects the two.  It
is considered better to get one powerful card off the bat than two weaker
cards.  two cards can cause thermal issues, and you have twice the fans so
more noise.

If you are not gaming then get the cheapest that supports your native
resolution.

Your monitor is probably 1920x1080, so the 5770 would be enough.  I am using
mine on a 24" 1920x1200 and get decent frames, though I am catching up
playing older games.  The 5870 is a damn fine card, though the 5850 holds it
own quite well and saves you a few bucks.  Any of the three would be great,
just depends on your budget.  I highly recommend xfx as they have a double
lifetime warranty.  If you sell the card, the new owner gets a lifetime
warranty so you will get more for it on ebay.