so in other words it's a formality in that most people know they can
get a lawyer in certain circumstances, but may not realize that *these
are the circumstances* and they are in fact in danger of losing their
freedom. It's a safeguard, whether you think you need it or not. I
know at least one person who did not, and went to jail.