On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:33 AM, denstar <valliants...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If I read it right only the data-mining stuff was dismissed.  The rest
>>> stood.  Right?
>>
>> Probably didn't, read it again and let me know.
>
> It *looks* like only the data mining got thrown out.

You didn't read it, you guessed.
http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/07a0253p-06.pdf

Very bottom:

JUDGMENT
On Appeal from the United States District Court
for the Eastern District of Michigan at Detroit.
THIS CAUSE was heard on the record from the district court and was argued by
counsel. IN CONSIDERATION WHEREOF, it is ORDERED that the order of the
district court is VACATED and the case is REMANDED with instructions
to DISMISS the case for lack of jurisdiction.

> Did B. Kennedy "change"?  Get less socially conservative or some such?

No, but he did change his mind a lot.

>>> You're saying we don't need the records.  We should just trust people
>>> in power not to abuse it.
>> When did I say that?
> When you said they didn't need warrants because they did the same work
> with or without them, I think.

Not. I said the same guy probably listens in with warrants and
without. If you trust him not to blackmail with a warrant then you
should trust him without.

>> Sucks to be him. He read one speech he didn't even want to and he gets
>> branded with the decade old issue. His name is forever a tarnished.
>
> Heh.  One speech, eh?  Somehow I don't remember it like that, but I
> wasn't there, so who knows?

Well than why are we discussing it?
>> 19 died in Salem, zero died from McCarthyism. Over 100 million died
>> from communism. No joke.
> It wasn't communism, it was the sudden stop at the bottom.

Good to see you can joke about over 100m dead but get upset that
someone didn't get applause at an award show.

> Even if you only count McCarthy, that's more than Zero.

You mean years later from too much boozing?

> Look dude, people were afraid to speak their minds, and leaving the country.

Good, that was the idea.

> Wasn't there some actor who got a lifetime award, and nobody clapped,
> because the dude had turned in a lot of fellow actors and directors
> and whatnot as pinkos?

A tear wells up in my right eye.

> You really don't think McCarhtyism is that bad?  Because McCarthy himself did
> X?

I was saying McCarthy's intentions were good and he strayed to crazyland.
McCarthyism is a way to brand national security as evil. Some bad came
out of it but it started out as  good.

> Do you know how many children die *every day* from preventable causes?
> It's a lot.

And what does that have to do with anything?

> Ah yes, the "axis of evil".  Iraq was *sooooooo* like WWII.

So we should wait until untold millions are slaughter before raising a finger?

>>> Sam, am I tripping, or have you been a supporter of the "if you are
>>> not doing anything wrong you've nothing to fear" meme?
>> You're tripping. That's not even a real argument, never heard about
>> except from folks like you.
> It is a real argument, which *is* a trip.  Maybe Rob said it?

Pretty sure he didn't. You imagined it or read it on Huffpo.

> You support it by saying we don't need warrants and whatnot, you know.
> Or do you know?
> Why do we have warrants, in your opinion?

Warrants are for domestic wiretaps. We have them and need them.
Overseas spying is a different animal. If a legal no warrant needed
overseas wiretap lands in the US they don't need to hang up. That's
the law.

> Hahaha!  :)  And I had you pegged as more of a scab.  ;)

I'm white collar.

> Why just the health care stuff though?  And why all the sudden
> excitement when Obama got in there, vs. prior?

You're the one that is fixated on the health care. Because Obama is
doing all the damage.

>> Hell yes! I thought you'd never snap out of i:) All the public
>> flaunting of back room deals, all hours of the night. The Louisiana
>> Purchase, the Corn Huskers kick back. So much illegal activity to buy
>> votes. It's about time you opened your eyes to it. This shit didn't
>> happen during the last admin.
>
> I still think worse shit happened during the last admin.  This shit is
> pedestrian compared to that last shit.

What's your beef? Katrina? Current oil leak crisis is 100 times worse.
Wiretaps? Current wiretapping is increased. Actually Clinton used to
do it far more often.
The wars? No end in sight.
Gitmo? Still open.
Drone killings? Way up.

> I think some people profit from making it seem that this shit is
> worse.  Like, I was surprised to know that more people have been
> deported under Obama than the previous administration, but they're
> still calling him soft.

Are you happy or sad that people get deported?

> And the main point (apparently) of the Tea Party is that we're paying
> more taxes now than ever before, right?
> Is that right?

No. You just read it and said it was about the constitution.
I stated before that they aren't complaining about paying taxes, they
don't mind paying them. It's the bankrupting of the country with the
out of control spending.
You are one of the dozen people left that don't seem to mind.

> I'm pretty sure most of the discord is egged on by people pulling our
> puppet-like strings.

Speak for yourself :)

>> Bush was bad because he's evil, Obama is bad because he's a politician
>> so he gets a pass?
> Didn't we agree on misguided vs. evil?
> Bush43 was more misguided.
> Better?

No and no. Bush was a leader, he wasn't perfect but he did what was
needed for the country. Obama just cares about himself and the Friends
of Obama. This is a big party and it's great to be king. Someone needs
to tell him it's time to start doing the work.

> I'm not advocating showing pornos, I'm advocating information.
> As a government, we sure as hell can't be all "Abstinence Only".
> People die who wouldn't have otherwise, statistically.  If you believe
> the statistics.

Maybe we should start in kindergarten, it's just life saving information.
Can't believe you're still running with the people died from no condom
lesson line.

> There are sickos out there who mess with young kids, you know?  You
> can't be around all the time, and the kid needs to know how to tell
> you something is wrong, right?

What does that have to do with condom demos?

>>> You are specifically referring to abortion here, right?
>>
>> No.
>> So many things they do wrong here's just one:
>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,54079,00.html
>> Life Dynamics said one of its activists has called more than 800
>> abortion clinics nationwide in recent months, pretending to be a
>> 13-year-old girl impregnated by her 22-year-old boyfriend. What she
>> learned is that more than 90 percent of the clinic employees handling
>> the calls said they would conceal the information provided by the
>> caller, according to Life Dynamics president Mark Crutcher.
>
> I don't think that is so bad.  Do you have anything better than this?
Figures you wouldn't mind that one.

http://www.newser.com/story/57236/students-planned-parenthood-sting-raises-ire-on-youtube.html
I guess 31 on 13 won't upset you either.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/ucla_student_sting_exposes_racism_at_planned_parenthood/
An actor posing as a racist donor called Planned Parenthood
development centers asking that his donations be used to abort
African-American babies to "lower the number of black people."  Each
branch agreed to process the racially earmarked donation.  None
expressed concern about the racist motives for the donation, and some
staffers encouraged the racist reasoning.

There's more where they tell the kids an 8 week old fetus doesn't have
arms and legs or a head.

> I will feel like a failure if my daughter doesn't think she can tell
> me she's pregnant.

Doesn't PP encourage them not to tell the parents?

> BTW, abstinence only leads to a lot of crap like this.  Kids too
> scared to tell their parents what is going on in their lives for fear
> of being judged.

I call BS.

>> Not the individual educators. The advertising agencies, the
>> institutions like University of Pheonix tend to earn more when people
>> can be sold on more education = job.
> That's what is always pushed though, isn't it?

Are you being difficult or forgetful?
When the job market sucks schooling is likely to increase. Some
companies like I mention load up dice and monster with fake jobs so
when you call they try to convince you to go to school for an even
better job then the one they pretended to offer.

>> Who said the world is ending?
> I thought you said the end was neigh, due to health care?
> Closer than normal, then?

Again with the health care as if everything else is right in the world.

> 12 is old enough to know about condoms, don't you think?

No.

>> Did I mention that sex-ed changes as they get older? I think they only
>> teach AO to kids twelve and younger.
> Heh.  I'm old as the hills now, and I was "active" before 12.  Kids
> these days?  Yikes!

That's a little odd.

> I think we're evolving bigger boobs, too.

Those are implants.

>> Who decides?
> Now?  The government.

You like the nanny state, when government tells you and your kids what
to do and when? Just as long as they don't listen to you chewing the
fat with Osama.

> 12 is "old enough" to learn about condoms tho, for sure for sure.

That's up to the parents to decide based on the maturity of the child
and the crowd they associate with. Some kids might take it as an
endorsement and then you have peer pressure kicking in.

> I'd start 2 years earlier, at least.  And it might be different for
> boys and girls, neh?

Maybe we should teach them kama sutra too, don't want them to do it
wrong and get discouraged.

> No.  I'm not a big war monger, though I do like the toys.  Love,
> maybe.  Yup, love.  Who wouldn't?!?!
>
> I'm just saying that a less focused approach would have served us
> better.  This idea that all the terrorists came out of hiding and
> became soldiers to fight us in Iraq or whatever is silly.

So we shouldn't have went to war in Iraq or Afghanistan, we should
have just called the Saudi Royals names. Oh I got it, we should have
sent the IL senator to use his smart power and they would have
apologized and the world we be one big happy.

> To each their own.  Some prefer war.  I think it's hell.

Necessary evil.

> I think violence should be the last resort.

It was

> But my point was more, "what if our terrorists were out terrorizing
> other countries?".

How does that play into our discussion?

>>> Sure, that would have worked.  Who would have thought that we'd have a
>>> S&L.... oh.... yeah...
>> Funny how that worked out, and the GOP got the blame just like the
>> play book said.
> Stereotypes are a weird deal.  Wonder how we change 'em?

Stop reading the NY Times?

>>> War is hell.
>> Sometimes it's a necessary hell.
> Who decides?

The elected leader.

>>> And if it's about saving people, what about Darfur, etc.?
>> You changing subjects again? What about Darfur. So now we're back to
>> molding the reasons for the war so you can argue against those points?
>> Been there...
> No subject change.
> Maybe a better question would be "what criteria do they use to decide", neh?

Are you for war in Dafur? Is that the necessary evil? Who decides?

> If you're against the health care stuff because of the health care
> stuff --which you profess, but I have trouble believing-- that's fine
> and dandy and more power to you.
> If you're against it because it's "Obama's" plan, fuck off.

It's not Obama's plan, he outsourced it to Pelosi and Reid. I'm not
against it because they wrote it, I'm against what they wrote.

> I think we're echoing each other, sorta.  Both saying the other is
> more tied to the person than the principle.  What a strange world.

I'm a lover not a hater. I have nothing against Obama personally, as I
said I think several years in government might have made him and
excellent President. Now I'm convinced no amount of training would
have made him a decent president. That only means I wouldn't want him
to be leader of the free world. Nothing personal.

>>> The Tee Party does seem pretty organized for true grass roots, don't
>>> you think?  Sorta Obama vs. Dean deal.  Dean's being more "natural"
>>> IMO.
>> You're so Hollywood. Ordinary people with homemade signs bitching
>> isn't convincing. But people bussed in with professionally printed
>> signs seems more real to you?
> No, you misunderstood.  Dean was the homey one.

The Tea party doesn't have a leader. That's because it really is grassroots.

>> Axelrod or was it Emanual created astroturfing. Yeah it's a democrat
>> thing. How do you think a black nobody became the president?
> Hard work?

The man never worked a hard day in his life. He's a puppet.

> The Republicans have sorta lost it, neh?  Searching for identity...
> while the Democrats infight as usual.

They lost there conservatism and they're trying to get it back.

>>> I wasn't trying to.  I thought that's how the theory worked.  That
>>> people are naturally altruistic, we don't really need taxes or
>>> regulation and whathave you.  It is in the powers that be's best
>>> interest to "bring up" those beneath.
>> That's out there.
> It's trickle down economics.  :)

You obviously don't understand that phrase.

>> So the problem with the grassroots movement is they couldn't get you
>> to read there message? I think that 's your problem, you judged or
>> were told incorrectly.
> Most of it I gleaned off your defense of them.  What have you "really"
> been telling me?

I only defend the parts you attack.

> For some reason "constitutionalists" didn't spring to mind.

You didn't attack that part of the agenda. You were more focused on
them being fake and didn't seem to care what their purpose was. That's
the talking points from the left, discredit quickly so their message
is ignored. Looks like it's working to some extent.

> It's just a piece of paper, really.

You do know Bush never said that right?

>> I'm sure there's waste to be cut like $2000 hammers someplace but you
>> don't just cut something because it's big. Especially the safety of
>> the world depends on it. I know you're thinking we have no business
>> protecting Poland from Russia, but I do.
> I thought you were fiscally responsible!

Protecting Poland is being fiscally responsible. You need to look at
long term costs of another world war.

> So you *wouldn't* automatically look at your largest expenses (first
> even!), when trying to do a budget?  No wonder the country ended up in
> such a rough spot after "you guys" ran the show for 8 years. ;)

I didn't say we shouldn't review it. I said we should do across the
board cuts like Clinton did.

>> Let's say you like your house but would think it would e helpful to
>> have another bathroom. Do you add an extension or do you knock the
>> house down and start over?
> Depends on the shape of the house I'd think.

Repeat:
Let's say you <add> really really </add> like your house but would
think it would be helpful to have another bathroom.

>> Playing safe? You're right, nobody can ever know what directly effects
>> the economy, we can only guess. So Obama's actions get a pass.
> Like it matters.  Some people think Regan had it right, some not.

Really, who's in the not column?

> Course, some people think cutting taxes and spending more (for a good
> cause!) is being fiscally responsible, so...

You mean cutting taxes, which in turn generated more tax revenue, and
then spending that new money? Sounds like pay as you go.

> I'm now living beyond my means.  Can't put the bill collectors off for
> ever though, and I don't want to be paying them off for ever, either.
>
> No new tech gadgets in years.  Last big buy was 2 grand for a TV, 2 years
> back.

That's a lot of money.

> Haven't vacationed in 2 years.  Used my leave to care for my family
> (hospital fun, etc.), and got written up for using "too much" of *my
> own fucking time* ta boot. 2 2 2 too!

Sounds hostile.

> Guess it's time to move on, neh?  =)

What about the pension?

> Heh.  You probably think the only reason I'm pro health care reform is
> because I think it would help pay my bills (it won't).  The medical
> related stuph I've been through (not me, personally) the last few
> years drove home a lot that I wouldn't have cared about before,
> though.  That much is true.

Wouldn't you prefer to fix the system rather than let the government
take it over and decide what care you deserve?

> However, I'm pretty sure the main problem is the 10 grand less I make
> without the overtime, and the increase in medical bills + new monthly
> $200+ script expenses.

Are you too tired for overtime or was it cut because our economy is
doing so well?