A question then, if such were the case then how come countries with
very strong gun control, e.g., Canada for instance,  are not overrun
with armed criminals?

Last I looked the homicide rates, and most other crime rates for
Canada, as well as firearm related suicides and accidents are far
lower on a per capita basis than the US.

It would seem to me that by controlling access to firearms you also
end up reducing firearm related crimes, accidents and suicides.