On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Jerry Barnes <critic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "So it's not being a minority that causes poverty, it's the culture of being
> poor."
>
> Exactly.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

Which is what I've been talking about distinguishing class versus race
and current economic situation. Unfortunately, race has historically
been strongly linked with class in the United States. If you look at
England, pre-Industrial Revolution, they didn't have a middle class to
speak of. It was also pretty uniformly caucasian. But there was still
a very strong distinction of class which really set up expectations
about what you could aspire to be/do. The industrial revolution helped
create a middle class but it is still the case that classic class
distinctions there help determine a notion of what you can be/do with
your life. Society is less stratified than it used to be due to
economic changes and the resultant social changes, but it is slow to
change. Here in the US, we didn't have as much of an entrenched class
system. Class distinctions, however, became more tightly correlated
with race in the US. The creation of the middle class in the US fell
largely along racial lines. White people got a middle class in the US
far before any other group. When you don't have a middle class, it
creates a culture of poverty. You may have a handful of examples of
the fabulously wealthy but when the bulk of the people are poor and
there isn't much in the middle, where are you going to see a way up?
There just isn't an obvious path.

We've been losing the middle class for the last 30 years. This has and
will reinforce a culture of being poor. And when it comes to
increasing job losses, increasing gaps in wages, destabilization of
home values, etc., the middle class groups comprised of minorities are
more at risk than the white middle class because the black middle
class (or hispanic middle class, etc) is smaller and newer.

The culture of poverty can be found anywhere. It certainly happens
amongst whites, I grew up in the middle of it. But I think that you
are deluding yourself if you don't think that there is a historic
component to it and that historic component, in the US, is largely
racial. We're losing the middle class steadily but we're losing the
middle class in minorities faster and sooner and that isn't a random
thing.

Juda