Even in this study, it seems as if different people were being
surveyed during the different follow-ups. For example, those who were
identified in the base year, but did not reply, were allowed to repli
in the first follow up. Again, it seems as if subsequent follow ups
are adding in new people as well. It also seems a as if the total
number of participants in each follow up was quite a bit lower than
the previous - even accounting for deaths.

I just don't get statistics. They never have, nor will they ever, make
sense to me. Except stuff like ERA, batting average, on base
percentage. :D