On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Cameron Childress wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM, denstar wrote:
>> I'm curious now-- you guys are suggesting that a windows VM plays
>> video as fast as a native windows install?
>>
>> I haven't run any benchmarks, but hey, maybe it's possible, WINE plays
>> some stuff faster than windows does...
>
> Well, you can run Windows in a VM, but you can also install it to run
> natively using BootCamp.  So, it might be slower in a VM, but since
> you can also run windows on a MBP natively I'd say that's what I would
> try for any speed test.  Still, I think the flaw I see in this entire
> argument is that you are comparing Windows (an OS) with a MBP
> (hardware).

I don't know many people who buy MBPs to run Windows or Linux (if
they're spending their own money).  I'm sure they're out there, but
come on. :)

The software and hardware are bound *tightly* for Macs, ya know?
Arguably the only reason to buy an MBP is because it runs OS X.  The
hardware ain't all that and a bag of chips, neh?

> You can compare Windows on a PC (Dell/HP/Whatevs) vs Windows on a MBP
> I guess.  Windows will run on them all.  So when you say video runs
> faster on Windows are you saying it runs faster on Windows on a Dell?
> Windows on a HP?  Windows on a MBP?  It will run on them all...
> Natively.

I would argue that you have *far* more choices for video cards on
machines that are not made by apple.

I'm totally with you on the dual boot deal.

It *is* kind of silly that the MBP's "native" OS runs video %30 to
(excuse me, I was a bit off earlier) 300% slower, don't you think?
And then Apple is knocking flash for being slow?  Not that flash is
like super solid, but that's a little messed up, neh?

The attitude of the company is not super awesome.

Not that something like that really matters, right?, but I like to at
least think about it.  =)

:Den

--
Let men decide firmly what they will not do, and they will be free to
do vigorously what they ought to do.