I'd like to see the stats for that.

According to UNESCO the US is #36 on per capita spending on primary
school students (i.e., K-6). Most of the EU, Britain, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand, etc., spend more or the same as the US per
student.

So lets try another myth.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/edu_pub_spe_per_stu_pri_lev-spending-per-student-primary-level