Umm...yes I did, obviously you did not.

'Danoff and Nivert then told him about a song that they had been
working on for about a month. Inspiration had come while driving to a
family reunion of Nivert's relatives in nearby Maryland. To pass the
time en route, Danoff had made up a ballad about the little winding
roads they were taking. Later, he changed the story to fit that of an
artist friend, who used to write to him about the splendors of the
West Virginia countryside.'

The Shenandoah River flows through West Virginia, near Harper's Ferry.
I live near the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains...in West
Virginia. The actual road the song refers to is in Maryland (Clopper
Rd. in Montgomery County).

So, you see, it has NOTHING to do with Western Virginia and more to do
with West Virginia and Maryland.