Selectively quoting there, are you?  Since the sentence above the one about
the road in Maryland states.
"The land features mentioned prominently in the song lyrics – the Shenandoah
River <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenandoah_River> and the Blue Ridge
Mountains <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Mountains> – have only
marginal associations with the state of West Virginia, and would seem to be
more appropriate to describe western
Virginia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia>.
The river passes through only the very eastern tip of the Eastern Panhandle
of West
Virginia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Panhandle_of_West_Virginia>.
Similarly, the vast majority of the Blue Ridge also lies outside the state"