Sample manipulation on the part of the drug company (actually quite common)?

Random variation - a lot of research shows that this accounts for most
intra study variation.

Subject Characteristics - what was different about the sample - i.e.,
were the people in the 10th study more or less sick than those who
were in the other 9 (also common in drug company research).

Experiment characteristics - were those administering the drugs and
the placebo blind to the different conditions?

etc.,
etc.,
etc...

There are just tons of reasons why.