On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumph...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The industry that I work in is directly impacted by the health care
> bill.  In addition, my health insurance premiums were increased by
> more than the anticipated amount once it was passed.  My wife had to
> start working again after being a stay-at-home-mom (a job in itself)
> for 6 years so we could afford our medical insurance.

You must have been surviving on a rather thin margin....?

> And while not myself directly, it could be argued that the changes in
> military posturing and foreign relations policies have made life more
> interesting for those serving and living abroad.  It was warned that
> insurgent leaders would use a a published timetable to plan their
> attacks and that has borne out to be true.

It has?

> Asking, "is it impacting you," is an effort to individualize what is a
> national issue.  This list in particular is a scant percentage of the
> overall population and is skewed towards a more educated group with
> more work experience and specialized skills.  By trying to
> individualize the issue you skew the overall impact of the problem.

Perhaps, but there is also a perception issue at play. For instance, it
could be possible to ask 10 people if they think times are tough, and all 10
can say "yes!". Then when you ask, "are times tough for YOU", all ten answer
"No".

So I guess i'm just trying to question the perception vs. the reality. The
reality is...yeah, our economy is not as strong as it can be or should be.
But are we really "suffering" as a people, economically? I don't think
that's the word I'd use.

--
Glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity