On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Sisk, Kris <ks...@gckschools.com> wrote:

> Like I said, plenty of blame to go around. Both Obama and Bush have
> their shares. I think it'd be a hard sell to blame FDR and Johnson. If
> they had the bulk of the blame we would have seen a huge recession a lot
> sooner I think.

Reagan headed off a problem with Social Security in the 80's, but it
was a (relatively) short term fix. The problems are structural in
nature because those programs guarantee unsustainable levels of
benefits to a huge and growing class of people. If not changed,
eventually those benefits will consume every nickel of the federal
budget.

And yes, FDR and Johnson are to blame. FDR in particular, the social
welfare state was his vision for America.