On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Robert Munn <cfmuns...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Judah McAuley <ju...@wiredotter.com> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I'd say that politicians are paid to create jobs, though not
>> directly.
>
> Politicians are paid to foster a good economic environment, which is
> exactly where Obama has failed so miserably.

The recession ended 6 months into Obama's term.

Unemployment peaked in October 2009, 9 months into Obama's term.

If Obama was really so bad for the economic environment, the opposite
would be true, things would get worse the longer he is in office.
Obama and the Democratic lead Congress stopped the hemorrhaging in
2009. That's a good thing and I give them credit for that.

However, I think that they did too little and were too timid. I agree
that, in retrospect, they should have tackled a bigger stimulus
package and a stronger jobs bill with payroll tax cuts earlier and
pushed Health Care reform later. Of course they ended up just doing
health insurance reform and only did that half-assed. The hope was
that genuine health reform would really "bend the cost curve" as they
say and contribute substantially to the health of the economy.
Instead, everything got watered down and the major portions of the
bill implementation got pushed to 2014.

So yeah, I'll certainly criticize Obama's (and definitely Harry
Reid's) handling of the economy. You seem unable or unwilling to give
Obama any credit for stopping the recession and halting the rise in
unemployment though. That tells me something about the honesty of your
arguments.

Judah