On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Robert Munn <cfmuns...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They are drawing conclusions based on lack of evidence - lack of cancer - in
> tested samples. As for life span, at least some people in ancient
> civilizations like Greece and Egypt lived lives as long as modern people.
> Take a look at this, it shows life spans of eminent people in classical
> Greece:
>
> http://www.hormones.gr/preview.php?c_id=211
>
> In other words, biologically people were capable of living just as long as
> they are today.

People were biologically capable of living that long, yes. It would be
near impossible for life span potential to radically change for an
entire species in the course of 2,000 years. None the less, actual
lifespan has changed dramatically. There are exceptions, like ancient
Greece, where some small subset of the population had the opportunity
to live 80 years or so. But as a general rule? I'm unaware of a large
population that had an average lifespan in the 70s up until very
recently. There might be exceptions that I'm unaware of. There are
also population groups that have had more advanced average lifespans
but without as big a reported increase in cancer rates, like in Japan.
The Western Diet, as its called, along with greater exposure to
modern, man made, substances is almost certainly having an effect, no
doubt. I'm just saying that it is wrong to discount increased lifespan
as one of the major variables.

Judah