"If I recall correctly, all three of those instances had the people you name
pushing for more ballots being counted, not less. Obviously we need to set
standards. When questions arise, however, I favor erring on the side of
enfranchisement and counting people's votes."

You recall only half correctly.  They wanted more ballots counted if the
ballot supported them.  They wanted ballots excluded if they supported the
other candidate.  On the Democratic side, they tried very hard to exclude
military ballots.

-

than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek
not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds
you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams