On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Judah McAuley <ju...@wiredotter.com> wrote:

> And, once again, Social Security is not the problem. Medicare? Hell
> yes, big nasty problem. Social Security? Not so much. I can show you
> the numbers again if you like but it doesn't seem to keep you from
> spouting the same ignorant bullshit.

The numbers show quite clearly that within decades the fund goes negative
and never comes back. Medicare might be a more immediate problem, but
practical considerations will eventually cap fees, doctors visits, drugs,
procedures, and all sort of other things in Medicare. By contrast, because
Social Security amounts to straight transfer payments from working age
people to retired people, there is no way to limit activity or otherwise
control costs like in Medicare. The only way to keep the program going is to
bleed the taxpayer more and more until there is no money left. What then?