> Sam wrote:
>
> OK I'll start.
>
> French press coffee sux. Drip coffee is so much better.
>
> As for espresso, get a $10 old fashion espresso pot. It makes by far
> the best espresso. As for the grinder, I don't know.

Well, based on what I've been reading, for any of them it's all in the grind.

French Press for example likes the grind relatively coarser but all
particles of similar size whereas espresso goes finer but likes some
variation in particle size - but equally distributed!

I mean the fact that a shot of espresso - done right - can taste like
a snickers bar or a lemon cookie is awesome.  But to get there you
have to:

1.) Have the right beans
2.) Use them between usually 4-8 days after roast; no more no less when right
3.) Have a grinder that you can dial in: e.g., Baratza Vario on the
lower cost side, Mazzer Robur on the higher
4.) Grind the right "dose", and tamp it into the portafilter correctly
5.) Pull the shot at the right temperature, pressure, and # of seconds

Do all that, with the right equipment, and viola!  Snickers bar.  no
bitterness, no sour, just velvety sweetness.

With the right equipment and daily practice I've read that a noob home
barista can get there in about 2-3 months.

See?  Total geekdom.