"So we're counting the interest on money we spent and will need to borrow
with interest."

Some government accounting practices would make Kenneth Lay blush:

Here is a nice one:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/12/nyregion/12pension.html

ALBANY — Gov. David A. Paterson and legislative leaders have tentatively
agreed to allow the state and municipalities to borrow nearly $6 billion to
help them make their required annual payments to the state pension fund.

And, in classic budgetary sleight-of-hand, they will borrow the money to
make the payments to the pension fund — from the same pension fund.

Later on in the article:

Another oddity of the plan is that the pension fund, which assumes its
assets will earn 8 percent a year, would accept interest payments from the
state that would probably be 4.5 percent to 5.5 percent.

So, the bureaucrats expect an 8% annual return (talking about optimistic),
but are only going to pay up to 5.5% interest on the loan.  They are
cheating the pensioners out of 2.5% to 3.5%.

And some wonder why others don't trust politicians and bureaucrats.

-

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have
learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan