From: Gruss Gott [mailto:grussg...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2011 16:29
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: Oops! Wis Gov Thinks Caller is Koch

Well, there's 2 components of the healthcare debate:

(A.) Escalating costs.

(B.) The finance mechanism.

"single payer" is a finance mechanism which, if you don't control escalating
costs is relevant.  Said differently, if I owe my doctor $1M for medical
treatment it doesn't matter if he sends the bill to me or to you - neither
of us can afford it.

That is the core problem with healthcare - it doesn't matter if we shift all
costs the taxpayer via single payer because none of us can afford it if we
don't start controlling costs.

To your point, if we keep the status quo insurance companies can't make
money charging a $500,000 yearly premium.  That business model doesn't work.
They can't "make a buck" if costs aren't controlled.

Thus anybody that wants universal healthcare shouldn't give 2 shiits about
the finance mechanism (single payer, double payer, 1/2 payer, full payer)
cause without controlling costs no payer can pay.

If you turn control over to the government via single-payer, well then
government has an easy way to control costs:

"nothing prepared him for the shock of learning that Arizona's
Medicaid<https://www.cms.gov/home/medicaid.asp>program was eliminating
transplant coverage for people with his condition."
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Health_Care/medicaid-cuts-make-organ-transplant
s-unaffordable/story?id=12177059

And so there's really only one solution to both lower costs and keep
control: fully privatize healthcare.

(1.) Put purchasing power for insurance into the hands of people instead of
employers

(2.) Eliminate the anti-trust exclusion for insurance companies

(3.) Eliminate the group plan exclusion so that anybody can form a risk-pool
and buy insurance: your book club, your company, this list.

costs drop, you keep control, and taxpayers can now afford to cover those
that can't afford it themselves.