"The original intent was to make a profit by targeting the liberal base
the same way Fox targets the conservative base, . . ."

I don't doubt it, but CNN was around for years before Fox.  I believe Fox
came out to be the anti-CNN and it worked.  In spades.

". . . but CNN and MSNBC have not been able to pull it off."

And the model has been failing for years yet it persists,  profits be
damned.  In fact, if I remember correctly, a year or two ago GE shareholders
were upset with the leftward tilt of
<http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2009/04/22/ge-shareholders-meeting-crowd-was-very-upset-msnbc>MSNBC
and GE just shrugged it off.

The refusal to change reminds me of a joke about a struggling farmer.  He
won a lottery for a large amount of money.  People are always curious about
what a winner will do with such a windfall so he was often asked "What are
you going to do with all of that money?"  He always answered:  "I guess I'll
keep farming until I go broke."

-

What we have here in America today is a real-life jump-the-shark drama,
starring a super-narcissistic president so desperate to create his own
vainglorious legacy that he is willing to destroy his own political party
and do enduring damage to his country in pursuit of his purely selfish ends.
- Kyle-Anne Shiver